© Melissa, All rights reserved

Creating a link

(<)a href="your url "(>) here (<)/a(>)

4/13/11

Windows

The wind is calm tonight,
stars are out, the moon is high.
Shadows fall distorting images
-caught in reflected light.
Curtains stir and shades are drawn;
the final show for the day is done.

A screeching cry disturbs the silence,
a cat dashes out of the old armory.
I wonder what scared it...There it is,
a man caught in the pale glow of the night.
My heartbeat quickens, it's weird-
how a shadow can look so weathered.
I start to shut and lock the door,
then realize the moon is casting reflection-
of a scarecrow, across the armories stone surface.

The darkness which lies before me
is dreamlike...another world
revealed in the night. A dream
which has a seedier side-
A place where we struggle and
take flight from ignorance,
unaware that those very shadows
will eventually fall across our home.

Then, just as I had watched the windows
across the street, those shadows
will put on a show for someone else-
Someone staring out their door,
...watching my windows~

8 comments:

Jingle said...

interesting observation on windows.
thanks for sharing.

you rock.

joceywrites said...

I dislike it when my mind makes pictures out of shadows at night. Cool outlook and love the ending.
J.R.

whenwordsescape said...

I particularly liked:

A place where we struggle and
take flight from ignorance,
unaware that those very shadows
will eventually fall across our home.

Nice poem!

pandamoniumcat said...

The night is fascinating, the shadows it casts, it can be peaceful, yet eerie and so much goes on behind the shadows. I loved the atmosphere of this poem.

irisinbloom said...

"how a shadow can look so weathered" I really like this
I enjoyed reading this poem.
Iris

Vinay said...

I enjoyed your take on windows, Melissa! especially the first four lines or so! Some fantastic images throughout!

Rally Week 41 - My Poetry

Maria Papadopoulou said...

Love the images you created. Very intense. And you are so right-another world is revealed at night. A whole different world.

Promising Poets Parking Lot said...

your style is inviting and entertaining.


How are you?
Please consider making a contribution to poets rally week 43 today,
A free verse is appreciated, you rock!
Happy Thursday!
Hope to see you in.
xoxox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...