© Melissa, All rights reserved

Creating a link

(<)a href="your url "(>) here (<)/a(>)

3/27/08

Mother-In-Law

You didn't like me.

Constantly,
picking at my values.

I stood my ground,
slamming the door in your face.

You screamed, on the other side,
an enraged animal!

Without thought passing blame;
undermining my right, my psyche.

My confidence,
seeped out upon your
smug face.

Oh that smile;
that one which is,
forever branded to the
inside of my eyelids.

It haunts me at sleep.

Now,
you're empty,
alone, abandoned.

A black mark upon your forehead,
betrays the path your seed took.

Truth is heavy;
your shoulders sag.
Cuts like a knife,
doesn't it!

As for me,
I've learned to move on.
I've overcome the betrayal.

Your pain,
turns to need.

Hate spent.
Now,
you need me!

14 comments:

G-Man said...

You are soooo very talented Melissa...
Awesome...xoxox

CRAFTS AND TRAVEL said...

I loved the way you put that, hate can distort our lives leaving a person brewing on it you have to learn to get on with your life.

You are brilliant with your poetry

LN- Nickers and Ink said...

This is well done and probably felt cathartic to compose.

My mother-in-law is great, although I wrote a few lines about her offspring:

http://nickersandinkblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/free-and-clear-verses-penned-on.html

Blessings,
Linda Ann Nickerson

barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

Donnetta Lee said...

Missy: You must have ESP. My husband and I have been talking about my ex-mother in law this evening. Oh, my goodness. The mother in law from hell. My second mother in law was the best ever! I lost her a few years ago. Miss her so much. Guess I had both ends of the spectrum. I sure enjoyed the poem!
Donnetta

ERIK VAN TONGERLOO said...

Beautiful poem like always. You are a talented poet.

Marja said...

Sounds like mother in law too. We were just talking about her. Great poem

Annie said...

You have rung a lot of emotional bells with this Melissa. You did not miss a beat on the emotional build-up and then the final and swift end bringing it all full circle.

Rob Kistner said...

Melissa -

Powerful in its rapier thrust, no punches pulled... very genuine.

one more believer said...

a beautiful gem of life turning around... all i gotta say...mother in law a curse and a blessing...

Stan Ski said...

A bit of a no-win situation, when the reputation is already implied.

Lion Chiller said...

Ahhh! that stings hard!

writerwoman said...

an enraged animal!


That was my favorite line- for the imagery it brings to mind.

I am visiting you from Writer's Island. I'm trying to get back in the swing of writing poetry myself.

Sara
Poets Who Blog manager

SweetTalkingGuy said...

What goes around, comes around.

Cool poetry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...